Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day is essentially the day that you honor and remember those who fought for our country and have passed on.  I have a few family members who have served - some of which have passed on, some who are still here.  All deserve honor and remembrance for their service.

The one nearest and dearest to my heart is Granddad.  I've mentioned previously that he fought in World War II, in the Navy.  He was buried in the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery as a result of his honorable service.  After having been to this sobering scene, I can tell you that it is indeed an honor to be laid to rest there.  It seemed appropriate that we take this day and honor Granddad.  But, we did not do it by laying flowers at his headstone.  We did it by going to his home away from home.  Piedmont.

My brother, Keith, has worked hard to maintain the cabin, property and boat while Granddad has been unable to tend to those duties in the past year.  He's done a fantastic job. We packed up the car for a day trip, and headed exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes South to a place that our family finds refuge. 

The day was full of promise.  The weather was absolutely beautiful.  The gas tank on the boat was full and the gang was all there (except for my sister-in-law, Tammy, who had to work).  These are the moments that you look back on and cherish for years to come.  I know that I still have very fond memories of being a child and spending time at Piedmont with my parents and grandparents.  ...the tradition carries on.

Four generations loaded on the pontoon that I rode as a child
I know that these are the moments that Granddad treasured.  Anticipated.  Embraced.  It seemed appropriate that we all came together in a place of happiness on a day that is set aside to honor our heroes.  And, in this case, Granddad.  He would have been so proud to see the kids reeling in fish and impatiently awaiting the next bite.  He would have enjoyed the laughter that we shared as a family.  Laughter that has been overshadowed by sorrow for some time.  This was absolutely the best way by which we could honor him. 

Keith and Ryan ready to push off

The kids found great joy in fishing, swimming, riding on the boat and eating junk food.  I found peace and solace in their happiness and knowing what that meant to Grandie - and certainly Granddad. 

3 Monkeys enjoying some splash time in Piedmont Lake  

As a perfectionist in ongoing recovery, I realize that there is truly no such thing as perfection.  But, I must say, this came close!

No comments:

Post a Comment