Monday, April 18, 2011

Fun & Games: The Sequel

At the urging of a couple of good friends, I bring you Fun & Games:  The Sequel.  Please keep in mind, it pains me to think about it, let alone write about it. 

As the day started on Saturday morning, I was off to the races.  But, not before I grabbed a cup of coffee.  As I made a beeline to the Keurig, the fish tank on the counter caught my eye.  It's not what was happening in it that grabbed my attention.  It's what wasn't happening that made me stop in my tracks.    Not only was Sidney's fish not swimming - it wasn't in the tank. 

I don't know about you, but when I roll out of the feathers, I'm not on my A-game immediately.  It takes me a little time to wake up and process what is going on around me.  That being said, I wasn't sure where to look for the fish, but I started with a yell to Ashton & Sidney.

"Sidney & Ashton, get in here!  Where's the fish?"  Sidney thought I was crazy and said, "in the tank" while Ashton turned around and walked away as if he knew nothing about what I was saying.  "Ashton, get back here.  Where's the fish?"  As I turned back to the tank, I looked down to the counter.  There was a puddle of water, a pitcher of room temperature water (which was to be used to clean the fish tank), a green spork and a dead fish. 

The fish was quite dead lying on the counter.  What a fantastic early morning discovery.

My kitchen served as a crime scene and an interrogation room.  Is it possible that my sweet angel face boy could have done this to his sister's fish?  Isn't this the stuff you hear about serial killers doing at a young age?  Does he need therapy?  Is there salmonella on my counter now?  Did he really kill a goldfish with a spork?  ...all I wanted was a damn cup of coffee!

What to do now? 

After Ashton finally got through his tears and my anger, he told me he was trying to get the fish into the pitcher.  "The fish kept flipping around and it wouldn't stop.  I used the fork to try to pick it up."  The head was barely attached to the body.  "Ashton, do you understand that you should not have taken the fish out of the tank?  And, do you understand that Sidney is very sad now?"  "Do you understand that the fish is dead now?"  More tears.  More remorse.  I'm glad for the remorse...otherwise, we would be on our way to the child psychologist! 

Sidney and I headed off to Pet Supplies Plus to find a new fish.  We came home with a pink Neon fish, at the bargain price of $5.  Since I'm tired of cleaning the tank every two days, we also bought a bubbler and tubing.  This serves a dual purpose.  It makes it more difficult for inquiring minds to open the lid!

What started with two ten cent goldfish and a carnival quickly turned into a saga of funny stories.  A $30 investment in fish and supplies.  A burial at sea.  Death by a spork.  A pink Neon fish.

It's all fun and games until you have to write a sequel to a blog entry entitled, "Fun & Games."

No comments:

Post a Comment