Monday, April 4, 2011

Smarties

No, not the candy...my kids. 

In my previous post I wrote about the game that I created on the fly to keep the kids from picking each other to pieces and from make us crazy!  This game was quite a success.

We went back and forth with gaining and losing points.  Only once did Ashton drop below the baseline of 10 points to 9 and after he stopped crying because he lost them, he listened intently to learn how to redeem more.  All in all this point system worked well.  There was only one catch.  It was used against me.

After driving for several hours on the way home fatigue, boredom and general irritation set in. I am speaking for myself.  Not the kids.

I loathe car rides.  I would rather stick a fork in my eye then sit in a car for hours on end.  I am not a person who enjoys the open road and taking in the scenery.  I much prefer to take it all in from 30,000 feet at take off and descent. 

My exhaustion got the better of me.  That in combination with the chemical that Aaron's brain produces to block out my voice, caused the first series of car-ride arguments to erupt.  Of course the argument was very important--all relating to the time change when we crossed the magical point in Indiana that divides Central Time from Eastern.  Like I said, important stuff. 

As we bantered, we were brought to a halt by a little voice in the back seat stating that we had lost points for fighting.  What???  Lost points? 

Miss Mini-Me was turning the tables on us.  Of course, that stopped the fighting immediately.  The "picking" was replaced with laughter, although she was quite serious.  I am fairly certain that was the last adult argument of the trip.

Touché, my little Smartie Pants... Touché!

No comments:

Post a Comment