Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cake

Sidney is turning 8 next weekend and I can hardly believe it.  It doesn't seem that long ago that we brought our Tarheel home from the hospital.  Or, that we were celebrating her first birthday in our new home.  Seven years later, the house is dented and dinged and Sidney is a bright, beautiful little girl.

This is a girl who knows what she wants and will stop at nothing until she gets it.  Exactly how she wants it. 

She is an avid Wheel of Fortune watcher and insisted on a Wheel of Fortune birthday party.  That is what she shall have.  The focal point of this party will be her cake. 

I've done much research online - looking at cakes, pictures of the Wheel set, determining what is doable and what requires more planning than I have time.  I arrived at what I thought was simple, yet cool.  Effective yet creative.  I cut and glued pictures to a piece of paper laying out each item and documenting "do's" and "don'ts" for this very special cake.  I handed the storyboard over to Aaron to take to The Cake Lady.  Yes, that's her name, The Cake Lady.

After he delivered the drawing I checked in with him to see what her thoughts were on the design.  What he said didn't leave me extremely confident that Sidney would find this cake to be all she hoped it would be.  He said and I quote, "she'll do the best she can."  What?!  What does that mean?  She'll do the best she can?  How about, "I'm totally going to rock this cake.  Pat & Vanna's set can't compare to this cake."  ...No, rather I got a 'best I can do' comment.  Swell!

I get it from a selling perspective.  Underpromise and overdeliver is far better than the alternative scenario.  But, for the record, this cake better rock it!  ...stay tuned for pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment