Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Catchy Sayings

We just returned from a week long vacation in the magical place of Sanibel Island.  Sand, sun, warm air, island time and family made this trip a memorable one. 

One evening we went to dinner at a restaurant called Traders.  This restaurant is one of the more upscale places on the island and has a boutique attached to it.  Outside of the incredible meal, I had a fun shopping experience.  There were many eye catching pieces in this fine establishment.  Crystals.  Jewelry.  Scarves.  Island wares.  Hats. 

My hands landed on a hat.  A straw hat that was calling my name.  Typically I'm not one for wearing hats - unless they are baseball hats - so how and why I was so drawn to this one was beyond me.  I put it on and it just seemed like it was made for me.  It fit like a glove and I wasn't leaving the store without it.

As I was checking out, Sidney was trying to get me to buy her whatever was sitting on the counter.  Sorry about your luck, Sidney, but this shopping excursion is all about me.  (actually, it's rare that I buy much for myself that is considered to be "frivolous".)  The lady at the register asked me if I would like my hat in the bag or if I preferred to wear it out of the store.  "I think I'll wear it out...that's the whole reason I bought it, right?"  I plopped it on my head and stuffed my credit card in my purse.  When I looked up she looked at me and said, "You look great in that hat.  Wear it in good health."  Of course I said thank you and headed out the door.

That saying stuck with me, however.  "Wear it in good health."  Isn't that the truth?  Life is short...live it to the fullest.  Buy the hat and wear it...don't let it sit on a shelf.  We only go around once!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment