Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Preschool Graduation

Graduations are such a momentous occasion.  Especially when they involve your children.  And, certainly when it means your baby takes another step toward greater independence.  These moments are bittersweet...as a parent you are thankful for your child's abilities and capabilities, but letting go is difficult.  Certainly for me.

I had prepared myself that I would likely be tethered to a pack of tissues as I drank in the happiness and emotion that would come along with this final preschool graduation.  And, some tears came both during and after the graduation.  But, I will say that during the graduation program there were far more laughs than there were tears.

We were presented with an array of talents that these little ones had mastered during the school year.  Everything from Spanish to American Sign Language to showcasing their sharp minds and sponge-like abilities by sharing their knowledge of government and civics.  Yes, these are four and five year olds.  Very smart four and five year olds.  I just wish Ashton would have done less smiling and more performing.  And, while he is a monkey he is not a performing monkey.



The second that Ashton saw his family's eyes on him he would shout from the stage "Stop!  Stop looking at me."  At first I was asking myself if he was talking to us.  Indeed he was!  The thought that ran through my mind and eventually came out of my mouth several times was "Are you kidding me?  We're here to see you...not your friends!  Of course I am going to be fixated on you - this is our last pre-school event!"  I would catch him signing or singing in Spanish out of the corner of my eye!  But, I was not permitted to ever focus solely on Ashton.  This was probably for the best.  It certainly kept my tears in check. 



I am happy that he walked down the aisle.


Thrilled he remained on the stage throughout the entire program.  Glad that he went forward to receive his diploma (although his teacher had to take him by the hand to get him there).  Ecstatic that he kept his mortar board on (most of the time!).


And in the end, he had his cake and ate it too.  Quite literally.



My little man has left behind his preschool days and now enters the next phase...Kindergarten!  ...I prefer to cross that bridge when we get to it.  August!


No comments:

Post a Comment