Sunday, August 14, 2011

"The Blessing"

Sidney and I were settling in for the night, Diary of the Wimpy Kid, Rodrick Rules was on tap.  Bed time is always a good time.  It's like herding cats.  "Five more minutes."  "I need water."  "I need to go to the bathroom."  "Turn on my music."  "Shut my closet."  ...the stall tactics go on and on. 

As I was working through the routine with Sidney, she started mimicking me and said, "I'm going to mouth sync everything you say."  I looked at her puzzled and said, "What?  Your going to mouth sync what I say?"  She said, "Yes, mouth sync."  Apparently I was the one with the issue because she knew exactly what she was talking about.  I, however, was clueless.  "Sidney, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't know what 'mouth sync' means."  "Mouth sync, Mom.  You know how people sing on stage and someone is playing their music but they aren't really singing?"  Ah, the lightbulb finally went off in my head!  "LIP SYNC!  You mean lip sync, Sidney."  "Yes, limp sync."  "It's not 'limp' sync, it's lip sync."  "Right, limp sync, Sidney said."

With each verbal transaction the volume continued to increase.  "Sidney, it's LIP SYNC!  NOT LIMP SYNC."  By now, she's annoyed and I just want to read the book so we can call it a night.  She looked at me frustrated and annoyed, pointed to her lips and yelled, "THE BLESSING!"  There was an eruption of laughter...I could not control myself.  I was nearly hysterical laughing which is contagious.  We were both laughing uncontrollably. 

For those of you who are scratching your head wondering what's so funny, go watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.  Specially the part where Uncle Lewis yells "THE BLESSING" at Aunt Bethany!  Now, Sidney has never seen this movie, but on more than one occassion has heard us say (complete with hand motions) "THE BLESSING!" 


Oh, these kids of mine.  My source of constant entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment