Monday, August 29, 2011

The First Day of School

Enter a new era:  both of my kids are in school.  Sidney in third grade and Ashton in kindergarten.  Can it really be so? 

It seems so cliche to say "It seems like only yesterday..."  Well, cliche I will be.  It seems like only yesterday I was fretting about Sidney going to kindergarten.  Would she know to get off the bus when the bus arrived at her school rather than getting off at a different school?  How would she find her classroom once she got to school?  Would she miss her bus once school dismissed?  ...the list goes on and on.  Of course none of my fears were founded and not a single one of them came to fruition, but it didn't stop me from worry about it. 

Fast forward three years and here we are with Ashton.  My baby starting kindergarten.

I was on edge for nearly a week leading up to his first day.  Okay, some may have thought medication was in order.  Nonetheless, I was stressed. 

School supplies.  Agenda books.  Book bags.  Uniforms.  Schedules.  Classroom rules.  ...lions and tigers and bears, oh my!  My brain was on overload.  How is it possible that it Ashton could be old enough to embark on the school age journey?  (how am I old enough to have a third grader and a kindergartener for that matter?!)  Reality cannot be contested.  The time had arrived.

Ashton completely embraced his kindergartenhood and walked into school. Head high.  Captain America backpack hung over his shoulder.  Uniform perfectly pressed.  He was ready for this new adventure.  I was not.  I must have said "goodbye" to him three times.  Each time beckoning a hug and a kiss (or three).  He was very tolerant, but I could see that his patience was wearing thin.  His face was getting flushed.  It was time for sappy mommies to hit the road.  So, that's what I did.  I turned around, bid him farewell for the day and bravely walked out the door.  I held back my tears, bit my lip and put the car in drive.  I kept telling myself, "Lisa, you will survive this...don't ruin his big day by being a neurotic parent." 

I'm so glad for speed-dial.  Through my watery eyes, I spotted the letter "J" on my phone and hit talk.  I talked to my friend Jill on the way to work that morning - as I do every morning.  Life started becoming a little more normal again. 

The day wrapped up with Ashton having a spectacular day.  Reunited with his best buds.  But, now, as a kindergartener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment