Saturday, August 6, 2011

Looking Forward to It

There are events that are "fun" that I look forward to.  There are occassions that have great meaning that I mark on the calendar and eagerly anticpate getting to that date.  There are standing committments that may not fit the fun category, but definitely fit the meaningful one.  For me, it is the night I work at The Haven of Rest. 

Finally, after being gone for two months I will return to the Haven tomorrow night.  I have been looking forward to this night for a couple of weeks.  Because of vacations and prior commitments, I have not been able to serve in my regularly schedule position.  Not surprising, I've missed it tremendously. 

I started volunteering at the Haven with my friend Jill a few years ago.  My life has been forever changed.  The preconceived notion was that I going there to "help them."  I assure you, those folks have been helping me.  My life is more focused.  The value of family has never been greater.  How fortunate I am for all I have is a daily realization to me.  It's doubtful that I would have experienced such an epiphany without this experience.

While, yes, I give my time to serve meals to and clean up after the "have nots" of the community, they have given me perspective.  Something far more valuable than my three hours of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment