Saturday, February 19, 2011

Who's On First?

Sidney had lacrosse practice today and she totally rocked it.  She has mastered cradling with her right hand, has greatly improved cradling with her left had, can scoop like a pro and today learned how to shoot.  Woohoo Sidney!

Sidney running drill


As she was out on there strutting her stuff, I sat on the sidelines fully prepared for another Saturday morning of lacrosse.  For a parent, this consists of sitting on the sidelines with no chairs watching the coaches herd cats.  I came armed today...I brought my iPad.  It's been too long since I had the opportunity to spend quality time with "my" birthday gift.

I got about 2 rounds of Wheel of Fortune in until I was completely distracted by what I will call a conversation that was occurring next to me.  Parents of one of the players were making their custody arrangements and discussing the outstanding child support.  Again, right next to me.  Call me crazy but it seems like there may be a better place to do that...I don't know, the hallway, a classroom, the telephone.  Certainly not next to me and in front of 25 other parents.  ...didn't seem to phase them though.  They both had their calendars out stating their cases for why Wednesday worked better than Thursday.  How the last check was late, what the amount of this check should be.  I was completely uncomfortable being in ear-shot of this conversation let alone sitting right next to it.  This went on for about 15 minutes but felt like an eternity. 

Happy that conversation came to an end, I returned to my game...for about five minutes.  The mother on the other side of me starting critiquing the organizational skills (or lack thereof) of the coach.  I smiled, nodded my head...tried to keep playing.  That didn't work out so well.  She was insistent that there was a better way to conduct this practice, a way that the younger/smaller children could be more engaged.  "Yes, I understand your point.  The bigger kids are at a different skill set than the younger ones, but they can learn from the older ones, so I get why he is pairing them together."  I suppose that my response fell on deaf ears as she continued to beat the dead horse.  I managed to end the conversation...aka:  griping session.  "Well, I certainly wouldn't be willing to give up my Saturday mornings to teach 1st through 4th graders lacrosse, so from where I am sitting, he's doing an okay job." 

The moral of the story is that I will pick my spot on the floor next Saturday after all of the parents have found their place first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment