Sunday, March 13, 2011

3 1/2 Musketeers

The more time that I spend with my mother and Grandie, the more I think back to when I was younger and how our relationship has evolved throughout the years.  ...one day I hope Sidney will look back on the four generations and embrace the value of the sisterhood. 

I have enjoyed the privilege of four generations and Sidney has also been blessed with the depth of a four generation family. 

Many years ago, we would travel to the Monongahela Forest in West Virginia where my Great Grandmother Miller lived.  Often, she, my mother, and Grandie would have "girl time" while cooking, taking a walk, or wading in the Williams River.  There were also times when we would go to the family cabin in Piedmont and as a pint sized little girl, I was never quite able to make it through the walk from the lake up the steep hill that led back to the cabin.  My mom and Grandie would cross their arms and join hands forming what looked like  a basket.  I was carried to the top.  I'm sure they were winded and exhausted by adding a pile of dead weight to an already difficult task.  But, they did it.  Time & time again. 

Life has definitely changed.  We have found ourselves joining hands to carry a number of loads, burdens together.  It's amazing to me as I reminisce about the good old days and how as a little girl I never dreamed that we would come together as such a strong, united front to take on so much.  To cry together.  To laugh so much together.  For now, Sidney serves as a connection to youth.  Seeing life through the eyes innocence and simplicity.  Focusing on the brighter side of things. 

This relationship that spans four generations of women is an amazing one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment