Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Closure

One phone call this afternoon and I am once again left to wonder what it is I am feeling.  The phone call was to the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery.  This is where Granddad was laid to rest on February 8th.

Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery

As with most burials, headstones are not typically on site the day that you say your final farewell to your loved one.  And, certainly not in a military cemetery.  We were told that it would be 30-60 days before his marker was set and that is rough timing.  I am very familiar with what rough timing means...it means best case scenario.  You can imagine my surprise when I called to check "the status" of his headstone placement and they responded by saying, "It was set on March 4th, Ma'am.  You are free to come any time you would like during the cemetery hours.  Again, our deepest condolences." I didn't expect to hear that.  I was relatively speechless.  Those who know me well know that speechless is not a part of my vocabulary.  "Thank you."  That's all I could say. 

Quickly, I hopped online just to see if Granddad was now also listed in the registry of Veterans who were buried in this field of honor.  ...there it was.
William Willard Chipps
MoMM1 US Navy
World War II
Date of Birth:  April 6, 1920
Date of Death:  February 3, 2011

I called my mother.  I am certain this was the last thing she expected to hear today.  "Mom, Granddad's stone has been set.  Please let Grandie know."  ...silence...

It's no surprise that this day was coming.  In fact, nothing should have come as a surprise since November.  While it's not surprising, it's uncharted waters.  New territory.  This headstone placement gives Granddad's life and death the final closure.  It's the last item on the list that remained unchecked.  And now it's finished.  

Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment