Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Slumber Party Madness

Yesterday Sidney came home with an invitation to a slumber party.  While I am generally more than thrilled to pawn my kids off to someone else, it was not the case this time. 

I don't know the child, although she is in Sidney's class.  Nor do I know the parents.  And, while I am sure that everything is on the "up and up" I can't be certain.  And, since I'm not, she's not going.  The fallout from breaking the news was dramatic to say the least. 

Sidney doesn't understand all of the "what if's" that go along with releasing your child into someone else's care who Mom & Dad don't know. 

I am sure that my parents never went through this scenario with me...back in the good old days (or the 80s as Sidney refers to the "old days") there didn't seem to be as many concerns as there are today.  Maybe because there weren't as many disturbed people out there in the mainstream.  Maybe because there weren't as many news reports and media outlets as there are today.  Maybe because my parents knew all of my friends and their parents because our circles were smaller.  Whatever the reason, life is different now.  Perspective is different.  People are different.

Perhaps one day Sidney will look back on this and think that her parents were crazy for not letting her go to a slumber party.  Or, maybe she'll think her parents cared a lot for her and that while their reasons didn't make sense to her it was peace of mind for them. 

Either way, I'm sure we haven't heard the end of it!

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil

No comments:

Post a Comment