Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Eavesdropping

This is not something that I make a habit of doing.  But, I couldn't resist this morning.

As I was tip-toeing down the steps with anticipation of finding the kids tossing the remnants of their half-eaten breakfast in the trash, I was surprised to hear a conversation occurring in the kitchen.  Not a fight.  Not Sidney giving Ashton his daily marching orders.  A real conversation!

I stood in the hallway listening carefully to these two little people discussing Sidney's upcoming surgery.  The content of the conversation was as nearly as interesting to me as the fact that they were communicating without raising their voices.

Ashton is our resident expert (at the ripe old age of 4) of surgeries and procedures.  Sidney knows this.  And finally, Ashton finds himself in a position to be valued by his big sister...rather than ordered to do something. 

The tables have turned--as temporary as it might be.

She was enlisting his input of what flavors of Gatorade he got to have before and after surgery so she could compare and contrast what she was choosing.  The most comical part of the conversation was when they were discussing what scent of gas she should get.  That's right, anesthesia.  He had the pink lemonade scent last month and she wanted to know if it was "good."  I had to cover my mouth and muffle my laughter as to not give away my position in the hallway.

These little minds at work simply amaze me.

But, all good things must come to an end.  A dispute ensued whether or not Ashton really had strawberry Gatorade. 

It was fun while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment