Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Gotta Have Faith

A popular 80's song by George Michael...Faith.  I always loved that song.  Still do.  But, the words "I gotta have faith" have a different meaning to me than perhaps they did to George Michael.

Sundays are always a great day in our house.  We get up in the morning, rush around for about a half hour and then head to church.  I love my church.  The Chapel in Green has been such a positive influence on me & my family.  From the time I was born I was in church Sunday after Sunday.  But, it wasn't until we started attending The Chapel that I found my life profoundly impacted by what used to be a Sunday ritual. 

I grew up in church.  I went to a private parochial school.  Religion & church were not new to me.

In my formative years, church was okay for me--although a little too cliquish for my liking.  School, well that's another story.  My school was very legalistic and if you didn't follow the (completely insane) rules, you were pretty much out on your butt.  Or at least you were made to feel that way. 

Should church, faith, religion, Christians be this way?  Was this just simply the way it was and you either accepted it or moved away from it?  Nah, I don't think so.

My faith, my belief teaches grace.  Grace & forgiveness.  Not fire & brimstone.  Compassion toward others, encouraging others, serving others.  This I believe.  This is what faith is all about. 

While I'm not much for waving a flag that says "I'm a believer.  I have faith in God."  I do believe in the demonstration of faith.  While I am far from perfect, I strive to make an impact where I can, when I can. 

So, while I may not be hopping around on a stage singing "I Gotta Have Faith," I hope you can see my faith through how I live my life.  How I treat others.  And, how I serve others.

No comments:

Post a Comment