Monday, January 17, 2011

Mathematician

Math is certainly not an area of study or practice that I ever cared for.  Nor do I now.  It's not that I can't do it, or I don't get it.  It's that I don't want to do it.  Now, we're not talking adding and subtracting here or multiplication and division.  Proofs, theorems, algebra, calculus...not my cup of tea.  So much so that I took Logic & Philosophy in college to fulfill my math requirements. 

Much to my excitement and amazement, my daughter is nothing like me in this area.  She's likes math.  She really does!

She recently passed Principal's Math Club, Division.  This is the last portion of Principal's Math Club that she has to pass in order to be invited to the end of the year "smart kids" party.  She did it.  She did it quickly.  She did it with determination. 

Sidney is a perfectionist--a trait I had hoped to not pass along to my children.  Unfortunately for her, she inherited the perfect gene. 

Principal's Math Club is something that we have heard about day in and day out for months.  It's a timed math test on the internet.  Frankly, that all sounds like a bad idea to me.  Luckily my 7 year old embraces the challenge.  With every section of this second grader's rite of passage achieved, we celebrate.  Whether its a pack of gum or a trip to Dairy Queen it's celebrated.

So whether its the anticipated celebration that comes with these feats or the thrill of the chase, she's mastered math.  For that I am thankful.  And, even though she likes to think that her Dad is from another planet (which I tend to agree with) she's an awful lot like him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment